- Born on the 5th of july 1879 in Cahors, France
- Father amateur clarinetist
- First of all violin lessons
- At the age of 7 move to Paris with his family.
- There he started to learn flute instead of violin at his own request. First lessons with Jules Taffanel, father of Paul Taffanel
- He convinced Paul to give Philippe private lessons, because of his talent.
- From 1890 on pupil of Taffanel
- 1893 joining of the conservatory as Taffanel gets the chair.
- 1894 first prize of the conservatory
- 1897 employment at the Paris opera
- Still being supported by Taffanel
- Besides working in orchestra and chamber music, Studies of composition with Charles Lenepveu and harmonics with Raoul Pugno and Xavier Leroux
- Aroand turn of the century working with Taffanel on a flute method
- 1903 composition award for a fuga
- 1904 second conductor of the Societe des Concerts
- 1905 second prize at the "Prix de Rome" (composition)
- Drafted for world war one, fighting near Verdun.
- 1919 Appointment to professor for flute at the Paris conservatory .
- In the same year first conductor at the Societe des Concerts
- 1920 chief conductor at the Paris opera
- 1923 Finish of his flute career in favour of conducting.
- 1931 artistic director of the Paris opera
- At the same time resignation from the professorship.
- Marcel Moyse was one of his students.
- Roussel dedicated the 4. movement of "Joueurs de Flute" to him.
- Besides the compositions for flute, Gaubert wrote pieces for orchestra and stage besides songs about lyrics of french poets.
- Died on the 8th of july 1941 in Paris surprisingly because of an cerebral stroke.